Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fishing Plastic: Fishing With a Plastic Worm

Fishing Plastic: Fishing With a Plastic Worm


I went to my preferred tackle shop today so I could stock up on some fishing plastic worms. With the hot weather upon us I am centering on developing my fishing plastic worm supply so I can get down deep to those fish. I like the 8" flip tails the best. I have a real nice motor oil color fishing plastic worm with tints of watermelon red in it. It works actually well around here. I'm sticking with the number 3 fishing plastic worm hooks. I generally use the Texas Style rigging method. I fish lakes and ponds with numerous heavy cover; it seems the Texas Rigs are best for fishing those conditions. The common rule is to use light or natural colors in clear water and then move to the darker color worms in cloudy or dirty water. You can actually use different sizes of fishing plastic worm for many different kinds of fish. With a well stocked worm box, one can be pretty successful, no matter what fish you are seeking.

Look for submerged structures and rocks in the water, also those shaded areas from trees or docks. Look at the water closely and you can tell where the shallows and drop-offs are. When you see the spot where you think those bass are hanging around, cast past it five to ten yards. Work your fishing plastic worm back in, altering your retrieval patterns, bouncing off the bottom or letting it sink and settle a bit. When the bass start biting, mimic that same retrieve the best you can until they stop biting. Then find a new spot and go again!

Bass are pretty predictable animals. They are predators that love to bushwhack their prey. Be aware of the weather forecast. My grandpa used to say if the barometric pressure was up, bass will be deep. Bass don't have to exert as much energy in deep water during high pressure as they would in shallow water. If that barometer drops, bass will get active and head for shallow water.

Know the cover in the lake or pond you plan to fish. Be aware of the depth of the water you'll be fishing in. It's important to find what the bass are feeding on. Ask other anglers, or look in the stomachs of the fish you catch. When you know the state of affairs you're confronting, you'll expend less time experimenting with fishing plastic lures and more time catching fish!